Do you want to know God better? To sense His presence in your life all day every day? To know He is directing your steps?
A practice that has been life-changing for me in this quest is called “listening prayer”. This is not just ordinary prayer, the worry list variety. Instead, it is God-focused prayer that invites a two-way conversation with Him. Want to try it? Here are some guidelines that might help:
- Greeting: Open the conversation with a greeting that acknowledges His presence and His power. I often say, “Good morning, Lord. I worship You as the Creator and Sustainer of the universe.”
- Surrender: Invite the Holy Spirit to take over your entire being and to protect you from the evil one.
- Confession: Ask the Spirit to reveal any sins for which you need to repent. Confess as soon as He points them out.
- Quieting: Try to eliminate distractions. Often I simply ask myself “What burdens to I need to lay down?” Then as they come to mind, I give them over to God to hold while I turn my attention to Him.
- Ask and Wait: If you are wrestling with a problem or sense a need for direction, ask Him a specific question. If you just want to know His presence and rest in His care, tell Him so. Now pause to listen. God wants prayer to be two-way communication. He speaks continually and we will hear His voice within us if we take time to listen.
- Respond: Write it down any message you sense, then follow any direction He gives.
- Close: You will not be able to resist thanking and praising God for His care for you. Amazing things happen his His presence!
“The Lord confides in those who fear Him.” Psalm 25:14a