What do we really know about God? All we can know is what He reveals: first, through creation, the Bible, and Jesus’ life and teaching. But there’s more: He seems to keep revealing Himself as we keep wanting to know Him better.
It’s a great adventure to experience God’s ongoing revelation of who He is. For example, He shows us His
- . . . pleasure when He knows we are turning our hearts toward Him.
- . . . joy when we discover something in His creation we never saw before.
- . . . love when He answers a prayer way beyond what we even dared to ask.
- . . . guidance when He brings wisdom from an unexpected source.
- . . . grace when we try to overcome a sinful habit and fail yet again.
None of this revelation is predictable, manageable, or even made clear in Scripture, but it seems God is constantly showing us more about who He is and how He wants to relate to us. Because He never changes, we can be sure that what we have yet to learn will be consistent with what we already know. We can count on Him always to be loving, merciful, holy, just, faithful, and gracious.
We will never know all there is to know about God and what we do know is filtered through a dimly-lit mirror, but sometimes He shows us a little more. Mysterious? Yes. But also exciting. And the best part: He’s not hiding. If we want to know Him, He will never disappoint. Every time He shows us more of Himself, our response will be amazement and thanks!
“The biggest human temptation is to settle for too little.” – Thomas Merton